Prime Contractor Technical Advisory Committee (PCTAC)
In 2013, the BC Construction Safety Alliance (BCCSA) initiated a Prime
Contractor Technical Advisory Committee (PCTAC) with a view to leverage the Prime Contractors’
influence on the health and safety of the subcontractors they utilize and to provide a monthly
forum for health & safety representatives of these Prime Contractors to share ideas and create
resources to positively impact the safety outcomes of construction employers in B.C. In line with
the BCCSA’s overall philosophy of ‘making safety simpler’, the PCTAC is forward thinking, diverse,
and currently working towards initiatives brought forward by the Prime Contractor and Small
The BCCSA relies on the PCTAC to help set priorities for important health
and safety initiatives and to research, develop, and share industry best practices to create
programs for smaller employers, sub trades, and their employees. Some past initiatives include:
- Developed a Fall Protection Rescue Guide intended to assist employers
with developing effective and compliant procedures for rescue of a worker who has fallen and is
suspended by a personal fall protection system. The forms included in this guide may be used as
an addendum to WorkSafeBC's fall protection plan template.
- Development of a safety headgear risk assessment.
- Dedicated and expert advice in the development of resources to assist
small employers during the COVID-19 Pandemic. This
included meeting weekly to improve, sharpen and revise information as it became available. The
PCTAC played a significant role in helping employers in BC keep their workers safe and
operations running allowing the construction industry to maintain its vital role in supporting
the province’s economy.
- Contributed and participated in the development of the BCCSA Webinar Series. Topics included: Isocyanates
and Prime Contractor Responsibilities Part 1 and 2.
- Contributions to and review of the new SiteReadyBC orientation program (now with over 10,000
- Promotion of the new Certified Concrete Pump Operator (CCPO) program.
- Work on enhancing the use of the Safety Climate Tool.
- Assisting with the development of the Industry Stat Pack.
To view the committee representation list, please click
Participation on the committee is vetted by the BCCSA. Interested stakeholders must meet the
following requirements to be eligible to participate on the committee:
- Be registered with WorkSafeBC in sector 721027 "House or Other Woodframe General
Contracting, Construction, or Renovation work" of sector 721028 "Industrial, Commercial,
Institutional or Highrise Residential General Contracting or Construction."
- Operate as a Prime Contractor as per the definition under Division 4 - General Duties of
Employers, Workers and Others.
- Maintain COR® status.
- Ability to attend meetings regularly.
If you meet the above criteria, please review the Terms of Reference (PDF), download the
Authorization Letter (PDF), and
complete the Representation Consent Form (PDF), and forward to email@example.com.
Current PCTAC projects include:
- A working at heights self-rescue guide and risk assessment form
- Upcoming Webinar on Exposure Control Plans
- Subcontractor Management Program
- Welding Exposure Control Tool
- And more...