Back to Home Page


Course Availability 

When is the next traffic control/ flagging course in my area?
Courses are held regularly all over the province. Course dates and locations and costs are all set individually by the instructor. There is a link on the BCCSA website to search for a course in your city. If you cannot find a course in your area, click on "search nearby cities" in orange or contact an instructor directly to request a course. 


How do I register?
Search for a course using the TCP Course Schedule page and then contact the instructor directly to register.

Course Information

How much does the course cost?
Course Fees vary and are set individually by the instructor. Search for a course using the TCP Course Schedule page and then contact the instructor directly.

How long is the course?
The course is two days in duration.  

Can I take this course online?
No, this course must include two full days of in-class and practical training. 

Do I need to bring anything?
Yes. On the 2nd day of the course you are required to wear CSA approved steel-toed boots with min. 6 inch ankle protection, and clothing to protect you from the weather. Your instructor will provide all other required PPE. 


I need a replacement card
Contact BCCSA and arrange payment of a replacement card ($26.25) please note you must have your valid TCP identification card on you at all times when directing traffic in BC.

My card is expired, what do I do?
Once your card has expired you are NOT certified to direct traffic on the roads in British Columbia. Contact your local chamber of commerce to schedule a time to write a TCP requalification exam to renew your TCP card. If you are located within Vancouver or the Lower Mainland contact the ICBA to arrange a time at 604-298-7795. If your card is expired for longer than 1 full calendar year, you are required to retake the whole 2-day course.  

How long is my certification valid?
The temporary record of completion you receive upon completing the course is valid for 3 (three) months following your date of qualification. The permanent card will be received in the mail within those 3 months. Permanent cards are valid for 3 years past the initial date of qualification. 

Is my ticket from another province valid in BC?
No other traffic control or flagging tickets are granted reciprocity for directing traffic on roadways within British Columbia. If you possess a valid flagging ticket from another state or province you are required to take the BC 2 day Traffic Control Person course. 


How much does a TCP make?
The amount of money a TCP makes varies by region. The amount a TCP makes is also weather dependant.

How do I find work as a TCP?
Contact Skilled Trades Employment Program (STEP) or local Traffic Control companies in your area.

Are there any prerequisites to being a TCP?
No there are no prerequisites for the course, however TCPs should be able to satisfactorily do all of the following:

  • Receive and communicate specific instructions clearly, firmly, and courteously.
  • Move and maneuver quickly.
  • Control signaling devices, such as paddles.
  • Understand and apply safe traffic-control practices.

Physical Requirements:

  • Recognize dangerous traffic situations and warn workers.
  • Stand for prolonged periods on uneven surfaces (up to 10 hours).
  • Traverse uneven surfaces and terrain.
  • Stoop, kneel, or crouch.
  • Grasp, push, or pull.
  • Hear warnings.
  • See dangerous situations.
  • Occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
  • Knowledge and Abilities
  • Receive, understand, and take positive appropriate action based on information/instructions presented verbally and/or in writing.


I am looking for an instructor to teach my class…
Visit our TCP instructor page for a list of qualified traffic control instructors by region. 

I am interested in becoming a Traffic Control Instructor:
Applications are for NEW TCP instructors is now closed.  Please refer to the TCP Instructor Qualifications document (click here).

To learn more about the TCP program, please contact our TCP Coordinator at or call 604.636.3675.